Dept. Thoracic Surgery
|Associate Professor||Akira SAKURADA|
|Associate Professor||Junichi FUNAHASHI|
|Senior Assistant Professor (Additional)||Masafumi NODA|
|Assistant Professor(Additional)||Yasushi MATSUDA|
|Assistant Professo(Additional)r||Fumihiko HOSHI|
|Assistant Professor(Additional)||Syunsuke EBA|
|Assistant Professor(Additional)||Masahiko KANEHIRA|
1950 Department of Surgery, the Research Institute for Tuberculosis and Leprosy
1993 Department of Thoracic Surgery, Institute of Development, Aging and Cancer
Department of Surgery, the Research Institute for Tuberculosis and Leprosy was founded in 1950. The first professor was Chigashi Suzuki. He performed a lot of surgeries for tuberculosis such as thoracoplasty. He also started the operation for lung cancer under general anesthesia in early 1960s.
The second professor, Tasuku Nakada, presided since 1974. He launched to medical check-up system with chest X-ray for residence in Miyagi prefecture and made efforts to find early stage of lung cancer and tuberculosis; that was called the “Miyagi method”. In addition, he investigated the surgical techniques of pulmonary resection for lung cancer and functional resectability for lung cancer patients with Swan- Ganz catheter. Dr. Nakada and his colleague, Dr. Sumio Nitta, the former professor of Department of Thoracic Surgery, Tokyo Women’s Medical University, established “Unilateral Pulmonary Artery Occlusion Test (UPAO)” to estimate the total pulmonary vascular resistant index (TPVRI) and gas exchange after lung resections. This test was used as the gold standard method to check whether the lung cancer could be resectable or not in terms of respiratory function.
The third professor, Shigefumi Fujimura, presided since 1989. He started the basic researches for lung transplantation in 1960s. Moreover, he built up the hospital network for over 15 facilities of the thoracic surgery in north – east Japan. At the March of 29th 2000, he performed the first cadaveric lung transplantation in Japan for a patient with lymphangiomyomatosis.
The forth professor was Takashi Kondo since 2000. He developed the preservation solution for donor lungs called “Ep4 solution” with Dr. Fujimura and Dr. Masashi Handa. Currently we use the solution named “EP-TU” for clinical donor lung procurement and preservation. The hospital attached to the institute of Development, Aging and Cancer was amalgamated to Tohoku University Hospital in 2000. We have performed 83 lung transplantations for 15 years and the 5-year survival in our facility was around 75%.
The fifth professor, Yoshinori Okada, has started since April 2015. Our facility continues to do our best for researches in the fields of lung cancer, lung transplantation and lung regeneration, as well as for clinical works in these fields at Tohoku University Hospital.
Research field of our facility
Basic science for lung cancer and lung transplantation
1. functional analysis of driver mutation and its regulation in lung cancer cells
2. the analysis of signal transmission through RhoGAP in non-small cell lung cancer
3. the metabolism of non-small cell lung cancer cells and their inhibition of proliferation
4. carcinogenesis of pyruvic acid kinase with knock out mice
5. the function of the factor of anti-oxidant stress in ischemic-reperfusion injury
6. the role of natural killer cells in chronic rejection after lung transplantation
7. the creation of new method of long-time preservation for donor lungs
8. the effect of pulmonary alveolar clearance in acute rejection after lung transplantation
9. the effect of ischemic reperfusion injury with mesenchymal progenitor cells
10. the analysis of cell surface marker of lymphangiomyomatosis
Clinical trial and research
1. interventional bronchology of bronchial stent and photodynamic therapy for cancer in situ
2. the role of cytomegalo virus for acute rejection after lung transplantation
3. analysis of risk factors of donors for lung transplantation
- Figure 1. An anastomosis of rat left single lung transplantation.
PA anastomosis was
performed with 9-0 monofilament needle and thread
- Figure2. A gene transfection with plasmid. Red signals are nuclear and green signals
plasmid vector in cell. After gene transfection, the cells sorted out by FACS cell sorter.
- Figure 3. An examination of long time lung preservation by ex-vivo lung perfusion with pig lung.
Reference papers, published since 2011
- Ebina M, Taniguchi H, Miyasho T, Yamada S, Shibata N, Ohta H, Hisata S, Ohkouchi S, Tamada T Nishimura H, Ishizaka A, Maruyama I, Okada Y, Kondo T.: Gradual Increase of High Mobility Group Protein B1 in the Lungs after the Onset of Acute Exacerbation of Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. Pulmonary Medicine: 1-9, 2011.
- Fujino N, Kubo H, Suzuki T, Ota C, Hegab AE, He M. Suzuki S, Suzuki S, Suzuki T, Yamada M, Kondo T, Kato H, Yamaya M.: Isolation of alveolar epithelial type II progenitor cells from adult human lungs. Laboratory Investigation 91: 363-378, 2011.
- Oishi H, Okada Y, Kikuchi T, Sado T, Noda M, Hoshikawa Y, Sakurada A, Endo C, Kondo T: The Intensity of Bronchiolar Epithelial Cell Injury Caused by an Alloimmune Response Is Ameliorated by Transbronchial Human Interleukin-10 Gene Transfer in a Rat Model of Lung Transplantation. Surgery Today 41:1458-1460,2011.
- Maeda S, Okada Y, Sakurada A, Sado T, Ohishi H, Kondo T: Surgical treatment for locally advanced lung cancer in a human immunodeficiency virus-infected patient. General Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 59(12):822-825, 2011.
- Noda M, Okada Y, Maeda S, Kondo T: Successful thoracoscopic surgery for intractable pneumothorax after pneumonectomy under local epidural anesthesia. The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 141(6):1545-1547, 2011.
- Noda M, Endo C, Hosaka T, Sado T, Sakurada A, Hoshikawa Y, Okada Y, Kondo T: Dedifferentiated Chondrosarcoma of the Chest Wall: Reconstruction with Polypropylene Mesh Using a Transverse Rectus Abdominis Myocurtaneous Flap. General Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 59(3): 199-201, 2011.
- Okada Y, Matsumura Y, Bando T, Date Y, Oto T, Sado T, Hoshikawa Y, Noda M, Oishi H, Kondo T.: Clinical application of an extracellular phosphate –buffered solution (EP-TU) for lung preservation: preliminary results. Surgery Today 42:152-156, 2012.
- Maeda S, Sado T, Sakurada A, Okada Y, Kondo T.: Successful closure of an open-window thracostomy wound by negative-pressure wound therapy: report of a case. Surgery Today 42:295-298, 2012.
- Endo C, Sakurada A, Notsuda H, Noda M, Hoshikawa Y, Okada Y, Kondo T.: Results of Long-Term Follow-up of Patients with Completely Resected Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Annals of Thoracic Surgery 93: 1061-1069, 2012.
- Noda M, Mizuma M, Maeda S, Sakurada A, Hoshikawa Y, Endo C, Okada Y, Unno M, Kasai N, Kondo T.: Presented at the 64th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Japanese Association for thoracic surgery: wet-lab training for thoracic surgery at the laboratory animal facilities. General Throacic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 60: 756-759, 2012.
- Fujino N, Ohta C, Suzuki T, Suzuki S, Ahmed E, Yamada M, Takahashi T, He Mei, Kondo T, Kato H, Yamaya M, Kubo H.: Analysis of gene expression profiles in alveolar epithelial type II-like cells differentiated from human alveolar epithelial progenitor cells. Respiratory Investigation 60(3):110-116, 2012.
- Ishibashi N, Endo C, Hoshikawa Y, Noda M, Saiki Y, Motoyoshi N, Okada Y, Kondo T.: Completely resected superior sulcus tumor and vascular reconstruction of vertebral and subclavian arteries. General Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.60: 777-780, 2012.
- Maeda S, Takahashi S, Sato M: Serum Thrombomodulin as a Newly Indentified Biomarker for Postoperative Lung Injury: A Prospective Observational Study. Tohoku Journal of Experimental Medicine, 228:135-141, 2012.
- Watanabe T, Okada Y, Hoshikawa Y, Eba S, Notsuda H, Ohishi H, Sato Y, Kondo T.: A Potent Anti-angiogenic Factor, Vasohibin-1, Ameliorates Experimental Bronchiolitis. Transplantation Proceedings 44, 1155-1157, 2012.
- Maeda S, Okada Y, Sakurada A, Sado T, Ohishi H, Kondo T.: Subarachnoid Hemorrhage due to Vertebral Artery Dissection after Lung Resection. Annals of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 18(6): 551-553, 2012.
- Noda M, Okada Y, Maeda S, Sado T, Sakurada A, Hoshikawa Y, Endo C, Kondo T.:Is there a Benefit of Awake Thoracoscopic Surgery in Patients with Secondary Spontaneous Pneumothorax? Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 143(3): 613-616, 2012.
- Asano F, Aoe M, Ohsaki Y, Okada Y, Sasada S, Sato S, Suzuki E, Senba H, Fujino S, Ohmori K.: Deaths and complications associated with respiratory endoscopy: a survey by the Japan Society for Respiratory Endoscopy in 2010. Respirology. 17(3):478-485, 2012.
- Endo C, Sakurada A, Kondo T.: Early central airways lung cancer. General Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 60(9)：557-560, 2012.
- Miyashita H, Watanabe T, Hayashi H, Suzuki Y, Nakamura T, Ito S, Ono M, Hoshikawa Y, Okada Y, Kondo T, Sato Y.: Angiogenesis Inhibitor Vasohibin-1 Enhances Stress Resistance of Endothelial Cells via Induction of SOD2 and SIRT1. PLoS One. 2012;7(10):e46459
- Chiba S, Ohta H, Abe K, Hisata S, Ohkouchi S, Hoshikawa Y, Kondo T, Ebina M.: The Diagnostic Value of the Interstitial Biomarkers KL-6 and SP-D for the Degree of Fibrosis in Combined Pulmonary Fibrosis and Emphysema. Pulm Med. 2012;2012:492960. doi: 10.1155/2012/492960. Epub 2012 Feb 28. PMID: 22530118 [PubMed]
- Eba S, Hoshikawa Y, Moriguchi T, Mitsuishi Y, Sato H, Ishida K, Watanabe T, Shimizu T, Shimokawa H, Okada Y, Yamamoto M, Kondo T: The Nuclear Factor Erythroid 2-Related Factor 2 Activator Oltipraz Attenuates Chronic Hypoxia-Induced Cardiopulmonary Alterations in Mice. American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology 49(2): 324-333, 2013.
- Notsuda H, Sakurada A, Endo C, Okada Y, Horii A, Kondo T: p190A RhoGAP is involved in EGFR pathways and promotes proliferation, invasion and migration in lung adenocarcinoma cells. International Journal of Oncology 43(5): 1569-1577, 2013.
- Sagawa M, Shibuya J, Endo C, Abiko M, Suzuki H, Matsumura Y, Sakuma T, Sato N, Deguchi H, Nakamura Y, Hasumi T, Kondo T: A randomized phase III trial of postoperative adjuvant therapy for completely resected stage IA-IIIA lung cancer using an anti-angiogenetic agent:irsogradine maleate. Minerva Chirurgica 68(6): 587-597, 2013.
- Onodera K, Noda M, Okada Y, Kondo T: Awake video-thoracoscopic surgery for intractable pneumothorax in pregnancy by using a single portal plus puncture. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 17: 438-440, 2013
- Asano F, Aoe M, Ohsaki Y, Okada Y, Sasada S, Sato S, Suzuki E, Senba H, Fujino S, Ohmori K. Bronchoscopic practice in Japan: A survey by the Japan Society for Respiratory Endoscopy in 2010. Respirology 18: 284–290, 2013.
- Noda M, Okada Y, Saiki Y, Sado T, Hoshikawa Y, Endo C, Sakurada A, Maeda S, Oishi H, Kondo T. Reconstruction of pulmonary artery with donor aorta and autopericardium in lung transplantation. Ann Thorac Surg 96: e17-9, 2013
- Onodera K, Noda M, Okada Y, Kondo T. Awake video-thoracoscopic surgery for intractable pneumothorax in pregnancy by using a single portal plus puncture. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 17: 438-440, 2013
- Asano F. Aoe M. Ohsaki Y. Okada Y. Sasada S. Sato S. Suzuki E. Senba H. Fukuoka K. Fujino S. Ohmori K. Complications associated with endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration: a nationwide survey by the Japan Society for Respiratory Endoscopy. Respiratory Research 14: 14-50, 2013
- Noda M, Okada Y, Sado T, Hoshikawa Y, Endo C, Sakurada A, Maeda S, Oishi H, Kondo T.: Reconstruction of Pulmonary Artery with Donor Aorta and Autopericardium in Lung Transplantation. Annals of Thoracic Surgergery 96(1):e17-9. doi:10.1016/j/athoracsurg. 2013.01.029. 2013.
- Kawamura M, Endo C, Sakurada A, Hoshi F, Notsuda H, Kondo T.: The Prognostic Significance of Eukaryotic Elongation Factor 1 Alpha-2 in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Anticancer Research 34:651-658, 2014.
- Endo C, Hasumi T, Matsumura Y, Sato N, Deguchi H, Oizumi H, Sagawa M, Tsushima T, Takahashi S, Shibuya J, Hirose M, Kondo T.: A prospective study of surgical procedures for patients with oligometastasis non-small cell lung cancer. Annals of Thoracic Surgery 98: 258-264, 2014.
- Watanabe T, Matsumura Y, Minowa M, Suzuki H, Notsuda H, Hara Y, Kimura S, Okada Y, Kondo T.: Remission of newly diagnosed immune thrombocytopenia after lung cancer resection. Annals of Thoracic Surgery.97(4):e105-7. 2014.
- Watanabe T, Okada Y, Adachi O, Sado T, Toyama H, Noda M, Hoshikawa Y, Oishi H, Sasahara Y, Saiki Y, Kondo T.: Contralateral pulmonary artery banding after single lobar lung transplantation. Annals of Thoracic Surgery.97(4):1429-1431, 2014.
- Hasegawa A, Sato T, Hoshikawa Y, Ishida N, Tanda N, Kawamura Y, Kondo T, Takahashi N.: Detection and identification of oral anaerobes from intraoperative bronchial fluids of patients with pulmonary carcinoma. Microbiology & Immunology. 58(7):375-381, 2014.
- Nakagiri T, Inoue M, Minami M, Hoshikawa Y, Chida M, Bando T, Oto T, Shiraishi T, Yamasaki N, Ashikari J, Sawa Y, Okumura M : Interim report of the Japanese original donor evaluation and management system: the medical consultant system. Surgery Today 44: 1227-1231, 2014.
- Nakajima T, Anayama T, Matsuda Y, Hwang DM, McVeigh PZ, Wilson BC, Zheng G, Keshavjee S, Yasufuku K. Orthotopic lung cancer murine model by nonoperative transbronchial approach. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2014 May;97(5):1771-1775.
- Taniuchi S, Fujishima F, Miki Y, Abe K, Nakamura Y, Sato S, Kasajima A, Fue M, Ishida K, Watanabe M, Sakakibara T, Maeda S, Suzuki T, Sasano H: Tissue concentrations of estrogens and aromatase immunolocalization in interstitial pneumonia of human lung, Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology 392(1&2): 136-142, 2014.
- Kubo H, Suzuki T, Matsushima T, Ishihara H, Uchino K, Suzuki S, Tada S, Yoshimura M, Kndo T: Cyclin-dependent kinase-specific activity predicts the prognosis of stage I and stage II non-small cell lung cancer. BMC Cancer 2014.
- Sato M, Okada Y, Oto T, Minami M, Shiraishi T, Nagayasu T, Yoshino I, Chida M, Okumura M, Date H, Miyoshi S, Kondo T.: The Japanese Society of Lung and Heart–Lung Transplantation: Registry of the Japanese Society of Lung and Heart–Lung Transplantation: official Japanese lung transplantation report, 2014. General Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 62(10): 594-601, 2014.
- Watanabe Y, Sato M, Nakamura Y, Hoshikawa Y, Harada A, Nagata T, Yotsumoto G, Imoto Y, Okada Y, Kondo T: Right lower lobe autotransplantation for locally advanced central lung cancer. Annals of Thoracic Surgery 99(1): 323-326, 2015.
- Hoshikawa Y, Okada Y, Ashikari J, Matsuda Y, Niikawa H, Noda M, Sado T,
Watanabe T, Notsuda H, Chen F, Inoue M, Miyoshi K, Shiraishi T, Miyazaki T, Chida M, Fukushima N, Kondo T. Medical consultant system for improving lung transplantation opportunities and outcomes in Japan. Transplant Proc 47(3): 746-750, 2015.
- Oishi H, Okada Y, Saiki Y, Sado T, Noda M, Hoshikawa Y, Endo C, Sakurada A, Maeda S, Akiba M, Hoshi K, Kondo T. Successful bilateral lung transplantation after 16 h of lung preservation with EP-TU solution: report of a case. Surgery Today 45 (5): 630-633, 2015