|Professor||Manabu FUKUMOTO MD.Ph.D.|
|Assistant Professor||Yoshikazu KUWAHARA Ph.D.|
|Assistant Professor||Tsutomu SHIMURA Ph.D.|
In order to target cancer cells, our department is involved in the analysis of cancer specific changes of genes and proteins. Our final goal is to establish therapeutic pathology through comprehensive study of cancer from the level of molecule to that of cell-to-cell interaction and cell-to-integrated human body interaction.
Our main research subjects are follows:
- Molecular pathological analysis of human cancers induced by internally deposited radionuclides, especially by Thorotrast
- Establishment and molecular analysis of clinically relevant radioresistant cells
- Molecular analysis of acquired radioresistance induced by fractionated radiation
- Cross-resistance between radiotherapy and chemotherapy
- Quantification of morphological data and mathematical simulation of diseases
- Upbringing of certified pathologists
- Shimura T et al.: Acquired radioresistance of human tumor cells by DNA-PK/AKT/GSK3b-mediated cyclinD1 overexpression. Oncogene 2010 (accepted for publication).
- Kuwahara Y et al.: The modified high-density survival assay is the useful tool to predict the effectiveness of fractionated radiation exposure. J Radiat Res 2010. (accepted for publication).
- Yamamoto Yet al.: Histological type of Thorotrast-induced liver tumors associated with the translocation of deposited radionuclides. Cancer Sci 101:336-40, 2010.
- Maruko A et al.: X-irradiation－induced down-regulation of the EGF receptor in primary cultured rat hepatocytes. Radiat Res 173, 620-8, 2010.
- Kuwahara Y et al.: Clinically relevant radioresistant cells efficiently repair DNA double-strand breaks induced by X-rays. Cancer Sci 100:747-52, 2009.
- Yamamoto Y et al.: Long incubation period for the induction of cancer by thorotrast is attributed to the uneven irradiation of liver cells at the microscopic level. Radiat Res 71:494-503, 2009.
- Umemura A et al.: Association of gankyrin protein expression with early clinical stages and IGFBP-5 expression in human hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatol 47:493-502, 2008.
- Roudkenar MH et al.: Gene expression profiles in mouse liver cells after exposure to different types of radiation. J Radiat Res 49:29-40, 2008.
- Li et al.: Crucial role of peroxiredoxin III in placental antioxidant defense o f mice. FEBS Lett 582:2431-4, 2008.
- Ishibashi M et al.: A BTB/POZ gene, NAC-1, a tumor recurrence-associated gene, as a potential target for Taxol resistance in ovarian cancer. Clin Cancer Res 14:3149-55, 2008.
- Nakayama N et al.: KRAS or BRAF mutation status is a useful predictor of sensitivity to MEK inhibition in ovarian cancer. Br J Cancer 99(12):2020-8, 2008.
- Baba T et al.: Analysis of gene and protein expression of cytochrome P450 and stress-associated molecules in rat liver after spaceflight. Pathol Int 58:589-95, 2008.