Dept. Human Brain Science
|Assistant Professor||Akira SUMIYOSHI|
|Assistant Professor||Akitake KANNO|
|Guest Instructor||Seishu NAKAGAWA|
To reveal the neural mechanisms underlying ‘human’ mind and behavior, we utilize functional neuroimaging as well as physical and behavioral measurements. We strive for a brain science that is considered a ‘hub’, connecting different fields of basic and application sciences addressing human nature. We then propose new ways for our lives, ageing, and societies to be more 'human', from a neuroscientific perspective, and seek technical developments of Smart Ageing promotion in our super-ageing society.
- Fig.1 Snapshots of an MRI experiment in the operation room (A)
and canner room (B).An example of findings (C): brain regions
involved in self-recognition in the mirror (Sugiura et al., 2014)
- Sugiura M, Miyauchi CM, Kotozaki Y, Akimoto Y, Nozawa T, Yomogida Y, Hanawa S, Yamamoto Y, Sakuma A, Nakagawa S, Kawashima R. Neural mechanism for mirrored self-face recognition. Cerebral Cortex, in press
- Sekiguchi A, Kotozaki Y, Sugiura M, Nouchi R, Takeuchi H, Hanawa S, Nakagawa S, Miyauch CM, Araki T, Sakuma A, Taki Y, Kawashima R. Resilience after 3/11: Structural brain changes 1 year after the Japanese Earthquake. Molecular Psychiatry, in press.
- Suzuki H, Sumiyoshi A, Matsumoto Y, Duffy BA, Yoshikawa T, Lythgoe MF, Yanai K, Taki Y, Kawashima R, Shimokawa H. Structural abnormality of the hippocampus associated with depressive symptoms in heart failure rats. NeuroImage, 105, 84-92, 2015.
- Kashkouli Nejad K, Sugiura M, Nozawa T, Kotozaki Y, Furusawa Y, Nishino K, Nukiwa T, Kawashima R. Supramarginal activity in interoceptive attention tasks. Neuroscience Letters, 589, 42-6, 2015
- Jeong H, Sugiura M, Suzuki W, Sassa Y, Hashizume H, Kawashima R. Neural correlates of second-language communication and the effect of language anxiety. Neuropsychologia, 6, 182-92, 2015.
- Sasaki K, Sumiyoshi A, Nonaka H, Kasahara Y, Ikeda K, Hall FS, Uhl GR, Watanabe M, Kawashima R, Sora I. Specific regions display altered gray matter volume in μ-opioid receptor knock out (MOP-KO) mice: MRI-voxel based morphometry. British Journal of Pharmacology, 172, 654-67, 2015.
- Sumiyoshi A, Taki Y, Nonaka H, Takeuchi H, Kawashima R. Regional gray matter volume increases following 7 days of voluntary wheel running exercise: A longitudinal VBM study in rats. NeuroImage, 98, 82-90, 2014.
- Akimoto Y, Nozawa T, Kanno A, Ihara M, Goto T, Ogawa T, Kambara T, Sugiura M, Okumura E, Kawashima R. High-gamma activity in an attention network predicts individual differences in elderly adults' behavioral performance. Neuroimage, 100C, 290-300, 2014.
- Yokoyama R, Nozawa T, Sugiura M, Yomogida Y, Takeuchi H, Akimoto Y, Kawashima R. The Neural Bases Underlying Social Risk Perception in Purchase Decisions. NeuroImage, 91:120-128, 2014.
- Kawase T, Kanno A, Takata Y, Nakasato N, Kawashima R, Kobayashi T. Positive auditory cortical responses in patients with absent brainstem response. Clinical Neurophysiology, 125, 148-53, 2014.